Potato Soup with Carrot Tops
Adding finely chopped carrot tops and a splash of lemon elevates any potato soup recipe!
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 3 lbs potatoes cut in bite-size pieces
- 2 carrots sliced
- 1 15-oz can dark red kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1 bunch carrot tops rinsed and yellow bits removed
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 lemon juiced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Saute onion in oil (or water for fat-free version) in a large stock pot until soft.
- To the same pan, add the cut potatoes, carrots, and just enough water to barely cover them. Add salt to taste. Bring to a boil and simmer until potatoes are soft.
- Break up potatoes with a potato masher. Add the kidney beans, carrot tops, and garlic. Heat until just heated through and carrot tops are still bright green.
- Add a splash of lemon, season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with red pepper flakes if desired for an extra kick